Friday, March 6, 2009

Avocados

salt? spoon? crazy delicious.

Today I was a bit disappointed - brought one for breakfast - it was not ripe. In general I struggle with breakfast foods. Don't get me wrong, I love the classic eggs, bacon, toast, oj etc (or huevos ranchito). most simple breakfast foods are uninspiring? cereal underwhelms

Was also disappointed as I had to pass on what was a pretty cool investment opportunity.. my boilerplate pass script has become

We get it, like it, it’s creative…

We can see a path to a reasonable return with low downside risk – though in the case with XYZ I believe we would have to adjust XYZ – you start messing around there and you can start seeing a return in excess of 3.0x

In a normal macro environment we would be inclined to pursue it further but given limited resources (time, money), there seems to be more interest at the partnership level in pursuing investments where the underlying business provides a solid chance at a reasonable return and the dislocation / distress in the capital markets creates a window for Columbia to be opportunistic and potentially get returns in excess of what a reasonable return might be a similar investment in more normal times (e.g. solid business, but distressed balance sheets or distressed investors)

and yes, I also have scripts for I break up with women.... when telling people bad news I have to write it down, make sure I power through all my talking points, and then let them respond... otherwise it ends up being a unproductive conversation

No comments: